Leah Cox's blog of youth ministry in the Czech Republic with Josiah Venture (plus stuff)

Friday, June 17, 2005

Why Europe Rocks: Reason #5


International TV (warning: I don't know if this entry makes much sense)

Watching TV is so fun here, for multiple reasons.

1. The "guess the country of orgin" commercial game. Some of the commercials are dubbed poorly, so it's easy to tell they're not of Czech origin...and sometimes I try to guess the general location by how the actors in the commercial look ("Spain! Or uh, Italy?") or what the name of the product/company is...like Renault, France, duh. Knorr, Germany (?) What about Tchibo coffee? The actors look French, but the name seems not French. And that coffee tastes like potting soil.

2. Jackie Chan season. I've seen two Jackie Chan movies in the past few months by randomly turning on the TV. Even dubbed, he's really funny. If I watch too much, though, I just wanna start jumping around and kicking things. HeeeYAH! Watch out, Lucka!

3. The evening news. I was just talking to my sister Dana and she said something about China, and so I said, "OH! I think there were a bunch of farmers rioting in China...like, something about some electrical thingie in some village, and they were mad...it looked like civil war...well, I dunno." The reason I dunno is because I was trying to follow the news in Czech and I can never get the details right b/c "they talk too fast."

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

International TV, especially in Europe, is interesting. Few viewing experiences match trying to watch a familiar movie like Mighty Ducks 2 in Catalan (I was in Barcelona, Spain, at the time). It was a weird experience, even if Catalan is close to a language I can somewhat speak (Spanish).

Good grace in the Czech Republic. God Bless!

7:59 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home