Leah Cox's blog of youth ministry in the Czech Republic with Josiah Venture (plus stuff)

Sunday, January 08, 2006

joseph, hip hop and snow: pisek english winter english camp 2005

The day after Christmas, Brad, Nate, Marisa and I all stuffed ourselves and our belongings into Nate's car and took off across the country for English camp. Honestly...I didn't want to go. I'd just spent 2 whole days stuffing myself into a state of almost-inertia with fish soup, turkey, exotic fruits, taco dip, potatoes, peanut butter cake...you get the idea. The last thing I wanted to do was run around and jump and dance for 5 days. BUT it turned out to be my all time favorite camp. The 4 of us felt very bonded to the Pisek leadership team and we worked together seamlessly. The students were super fun and the love in the cottage was almost tangible...actually, it was tangible, mostly in the form of wrestling, throwing snowballs, and pulling pigtails (due to a gang of 15 year old boys). The rap videos we made were hilarious (I wish I could somehow post them! If I find a way...) and Nate's & Lucka's nightly talks about Joseph's life hit home with the students. There were only a few total unbelievers and more kids who had made some kind of commitment, but either hadn't grown or were just on the edge. One of these girls has been going to youth group and Bible study since camp: yay! God is so good, and we're trusting Him to bring the others home, too.