Leah Cox's blog of youth ministry in the Czech Republic with Josiah Venture (plus stuff)

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Cesky Tesin English Camp!




I love CT camp. It always feels like coming home: students that I see at English club, parties, and out and about are there and I totally enjoy being with them and our youth groups kids.

One night of Cesky Tesin camp was pretty difficult for me. The evening'’s talk was heavy, especially for the unbelieving students, and afterwards I had 2 intense discussions with some of my dearest kids about why they don't believe. That night I had a dream of film-like clarity. I was a social worker assigned to the case of a 10-year-old blonde boy who was being abused. The abuser was a massive man (also blonde) who was both scary and arrogant. For some reason, we didn'’t have enough proof to convict him. I spent the whole dream desperately looking for evidence so that the court would put a restraining order on this evil man. I found a videotape that proved his guilt, and then immediately woke up. I woke up sobbing, though, and the whole morning felt faintly depressed.

That afternoon, Mel and Amy visited the camp and I told Amy about the dream. She immediately exclaimed (referencing Mark 3:27), "Leah, YOU can't free these students from the strong man, only one who is stronger still can do that!" I started praying that Jesus would bind the strong man. A few days later, I ran across a verse that God had spoken to me in January that I had kinda forgotten about: "Can plunder be taken from the warriors, or captives rescued from the fierce? But this is what the Lord says: 'Yes, captives will be taken from the warriors, and plunder retrieved from the fierce; I will contend with those who contend with you, and your children I will save'" (Is 49:24-25). That has been my prayer ever since, that the captives will be taken from the warrior and that "my children" will be saved from the strong man.

I feel expectant that this year the Lord will do just that for our Cesky Tesin students! Please join with us in praying for these kids, for our youth group, and for EXIT 316. Exit 316 is a Christian TV program that will begin airing Wednesdays, September 6 at 6pm. In CT, we plan on meeting in the youth room and watching it all together and then breaking up into discussion groups. PLEASE pray that our friends from camp will come and experience God's love and truth.