Leah Cox's blog of youth ministry in the Czech Republic with Josiah Venture (plus stuff)

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Why Europe Rocks: Reason #36

Smart Europeans


Here Jozef is explaining something about something to Bonnie out of a geography book before Exit club started last week.

REAL CONVERSATION

Pavel: Do you know how to say "kamzik" in English?
Leah: No.
Alca: It's a small deer, it doesn't have antlers like this [shows antlers on head] but like this [different antlers on head]. It lives in the mountains.
Leah: I'm from Iowa.
Jozef: Well, I'm from Czech and I know about tigers.
Pavel: Maybe you just call it "little deer."
Alca: [after looking in a dictionary] Here it is, It's "chamois," have you heard of chamois?
Leah: Ha ha ha! Uh, maybe that's British English*
Alca: [reading] "In America, chami." Have you heard of chami?
Leah: ...

*The phrase "maybe that's British English" works like a dream in almost all situations, fyi.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

Haha. That's a great conversation. And just so you know, a chamois is like a mountain goat. I, the used-to-be animal nerd, had a subscription to Zoobooks until I was 18 (slight exaggeration).

-Ryohazard

7:08 PM

 
Blogger Leah said...

Baby Ry Ry! I hope you're doing well; we miss you in these parts (where the chamois dwell).

9:25 PM

 
Blogger Jon and Erin said...

Hmmmm...I remember having conversations like that. Man I feel dumb over there sometimes!

12:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh le-i, you make-a-me laugh! i LOVE that phrase too... gets me out of a lot of awkward situations :)

11:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jozef´s reply is pretty funny, hezky odpálkoval :)

10:14 PM

 
Blogger Leah said...

to jo no :)

3:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home