Leah Cox's blog of youth ministry in the Czech Republic with Josiah Venture (plus stuff)

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Why Europe Rocks: Reason #1

So many cultures, so little...ummm...

I love Europe, man I love Europe. Do you know what I did Saturday night? I went to a Greek festival in Karvina. Yeah, in the Czech Republic. Two of my conversation students (Jana and Lenka) are half Greek, half Polish, 100% Czech. So, they invited me and Lucka to a Greek celebration that a Czech Hellenistic organization puts on to celebrate some battle where the Greeks beat the Turks (Lenka's husband Jarek says that every Greek celebration is about beating the Turks). Basically, what we did was eat cheese and olives and dance traditional Greek dances like crazy for hours. (Jarek said I dance like a cowboy. That Jarek is a funny guy.) I know there are Greek celebrations in the States, but for some reason it seems double cool to me to yell "OOPA!" in Czech.

Labels: