Leah Cox's blog of youth ministry in the Czech Republic with Josiah Venture (plus stuff)

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Why Europe Rocks: Reason #2


Customer Service (does not apply to all of Europe)

The other day I went to our little corner grocery store to grind coffee beans because they have a coffee grinder by the door. I walked in and asked the nearest clerk if I could use their grinder.

Me: Can I use this machine? (pointing to the grinder and showing the bag of beans)
Clerk #1: Yes.
Clerk #2: No.
Clerk #3: Blah blah blah blah (something in Polish to me)
Me: Umm, excuse me?
Clerk #4: (to #3) She’s American, speak slowly.
Clerk #3: You can use it, but just put a little in at a time.
Clerk #5: What’s going on here?
(general discussion among the clerks)
Clerk #5: (to me) Where did you get those coffee beans?
Me: America.
Clerk #5: (sarcastic) Oh, AmERika...
(more discussion among the clerks about whether or not I could use the machine, but I’m already grinding the beans and am not listening)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home