Leah Cox's blog of youth ministry in the Czech Republic with Josiah Venture (plus stuff)

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Why Europe Rocks: Reason #11

Foreign Dis/Advantage

Being foreign is fun...95% of the time. The past few years, I started categorizing certain experiences under the labels of foreign advantage or foreign disadvantage. Often the difference between an aspect of foreignity (yeah, I know, not a word) being an advantage or not is all due to context...for example...

Advantage: Having a "cute" accent that melts the mean looks off of scary people (post office ladies, concierges, etc).
Disadvantage: Having a "confusing" accent that important people (waiters, hairstylists, kids) don't understand. "What? Mint tea? I asked for mineral water." (That actually happened twice, in two different cities).

Advantage: Being immediately interesting for people; open doors.
Disadvantage: Being immediately interesting for interesting people who want: money, stamps, foreign currency, to vent about Iraq/McDonald's, to kiss a foreigner, etc.

Advantage: Being considered an "expert" on the USA and being asked to speak in schools.
Disadvantage: Being considered an "expert" on the USA and totally not knowing what's cool anymore: "American slang? Uh...I think the kids these days say 'sweet'?"

Advantage: Being exempt from having to abide by some social rules due to ignorance: getting grace (I get a lot of grace here!!!)
Disadvantage: When people think I'm super rude because I didn't cover my mouth when I yawn, getting in trouble for holding groceries in my hands instead of using a cart, or not putting my silverware next to each other on the plate.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home