Leah Cox's blog of youth ministry in the Czech Republic with Josiah Venture (plus stuff)

Friday, August 15, 2008

Why Europe Rocks: Reason #34

Old Ukrainian men arguing politics on Lviv's square

Living History

"I speak German. I went to German school from 1943 to 45, but then the Americans came to Susice," the old brown eyes crinkled at the memory. "They stayed with us because we had a big house. There were tanks everywhere, and I got to ride in them and wear their helmets. I was 8 years old."

Today while Bonnie and I waited for the bus to Prague, this nice gentleman started talking to us about how his daughter lives abroad, how he wanted his children to travel as much as possible after communism fell. "[Right before communism] 22 of my friends left--America, Australia. They come back to visit sometimes. In those days, to travel you needed to have so many papers signed and then you were watched. It wasn't easy. I think about how it is for Northern Korea...."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home