Leah Cox's blog of youth ministry in the Czech Republic with Josiah Venture (plus stuff)

Saturday, March 03, 2007

my spot on the Appian Way (Via Appia Antica)


Krista on the Appia Antica. This road streches from Rome to Brindisi (which is in the heel of the boot). Wikipedia says that it was begun in the early 300s BC and used by Spartacus. We (along with Jaycee) took public transportation out that way to get to the St. Callisto catacombs. It was both tranquil and a bit sublime, seeing the graves of martyrs and early Christian catacomb paintings.

Where I had my "vineyard tending time": the Circus of Maxentius park, where they used to race chariots.

My view from the park. I had sweet time talking with the Lord (more on that later) and then a little adventure of getting locked into the park. I jumped a fence, got myself stuck in another park and, while in the midst of climbing a tree, a not-so-amused Italian man unlocked a gate and let me out. Thank you Krista!!!

Jesus the good shepherd, from the catacomb of St. Callisto, mid 3rd century. This is one of my favorite works of art of all time, and to see it live was literally a dream come true.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home