Leah Cox's blog of youth ministry in the Czech Republic with Josiah Venture (plus stuff)

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Why Europe Rocks: Reason #23

FAQ ATTACK! a la David Letterman






















Perhaps no question is a stupid question, perhaps, but for sure some questions are oft-repeated, way oft. In this season of crowd interaction (school visits, trainings, conferences, etc) I'm reminded once again that some questions will be, and probably forever, asked over and over...so from 10-1...

10. How do you do? (ha ha! This is the best when carefully pronounced by first year English students! I heart British English!)
9. What is your job? (trick question: if I say I'm a missionary they think either nun or Jehovah's witness...worker with students? what?)
8. Where are you from? (Iowa, do you know where that is? You do? And all of our geography and state products? Why are Europeans so smart?)
7. Do you like Czech food? (yes oh yes)
6. Do you speak Czech? (I AM speaking Czech)
5. What are the differences between Czechs and Americans? (Can I just answer "your mom"?)
4. How old are you? (How old do YOU think I am? *wink wink* ...oh, and these next questions go in order, after they find out I'm not 18...)
3. When are you getting married?/Why aren't you married? (uhhh...uncomfortable. Is there a right way to answer this question?)
2. Would you rather marry a Czech or an American? (sure)

and THE most frequently asked question, hands down is:

1. What's the weather like in America?

Really, I don't know why, but that is THE question. And everyone seems disappointed when I say, "Where I'm from, it's the same as it is here." I'm sorry it's not more interesting.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss you sista! The weather in Iowa today is windy! Very windy. Looks like it may rain but no promises. Our garden has broccoli the size of grapefruit! Almost ready to harvest! Have a wonderful summer! We love you very much!!

3:48 PM

 
Blogger Krista said...

HAHAHAHAHA. leah- you make me LAUGH! alice and i just did 40 english classes in 2 days, i was actually gonna call you for expert advice but i ran outta time... alice called it 'drive-by' camp advertisitng cause we had like 5-15 min in the classes... but it rocked. i'm going to more schools next week, woohoo! maybe they'll ask me some of your fun questions! (oh please not #2,3,4- blah)

11:33 PM

 
Blogger Leah said...

Dane, I wish I could help you in your garden! It was good talking to you tonight...I miss you guys...

Krista, have fun with the school visits, and let me know if Polish kids have different questions...40 classes is rough, after 5 I start to sound like an infomercial...see you at training!

1:03 AM

 
Blogger Leah said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:03 AM

 
Blogger A.PETH said...

oh man leah...can i just tell you i love the "your mom" response.
Works every time.

Also, you can tell them in America within the Arizona state....its almost 100 degrees now. people melt here among the pavement... esp. people with no AC in their car (fingers pointing to me)....

9:20 PM

 
Blogger Leah said...

see, THAT'S interesting. Oh well. Maybe I can answer the weather question with your mom...or not... :)

5:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home