Leah Cox's blog of youth ministry in the Czech Republic with Josiah Venture (plus stuff)

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Why Europe Rocks: Reason #28

Cleanliness Is Next to Godliness, or "Do Americans Wear Shoes to Bed?"


from Jozef's 23rd birthday party at my flat

I don't know if you know this, but Czechs don't wear shoes in the house. Do you know why? Do you really have to ask? Maybe it's obvious to me, because I grew up in the house of Mark Cox where it was strictly forbidden to go further than the downstairs shoe rug wearing said shoes. Going to the bottom stairs was risky, but going up the stairs and into the living room, on the living room carpet in shoes...forget about it. So, when I came to Czech and everyone's all "take off you shoes," I'm all "yeah of course." But YOU maybe are all, "I feel dumb running around in my socks," so please allow me to explain: it's just way cleaner. Here people tend to walk more (see WER #15) so shoes get dirtier--which also explains a little bit the flipside of this problem, which is why Americans don't tend to take their/our shoes off indoors. Anyway. Oh, and if/when you come to visit, (come visit!) and if/when we ride the train together (let's take the train!), please take off your shoes before you prop your feet up on the seat across from you. Thank you!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger nate hughes said...

i grew up in the home of gary hughes, who, when my mom was getting new carpet for the house, said, "I don't care what you get just as long as you remember that I'll never take my shoes off in the house, so choose a color wisely."

But, it is different being in America...I feel bad wearing my shoes inside now!

9:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Leah..

I see that you are still in the Czech Rep!-- very cool...

You should drop me an email and bring me up to speed with what you are doing. I would love to hear from you!!!

btw, in your previous blog, the woman in the _Greatest American Hero_ pic is the actress Connie Sellica who played Pam Davidson, the girlfriend/asst dist. atty-- yes, my head is filled with useless knowledge like that..

Get ahold of me: smhashmi3@hotmail.com

I miss you,

Syed

11:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home