Leah Cox's blog of youth ministry in the Czech Republic with Josiah Venture (plus stuff)

Saturday, March 01, 2008

Why Europe Rocks: Reason #31

I know a lot of these WERs are about language, but so much of what makes life fun & funny is trying to navigate in one's non-native language.

In Czech, there are some great words/phrases that don't translate well...but I wish they did.

ponorka n. (lit: submarine) When you spend a lot of time with one or more people and you kind of get a little sick of them. Ex: After two days of meetings I have a little ponorka.



domluvit v. To arrange, agree upon, figure out, plan, decide...domluvit is so all purpose. Ex: I'm not sure now when we can meet, but I'll call you and we can domluvit on it. I have to domluvit with the English teacher when we can go to her class.

šikovný (she-cove-knee) adj. This word doesn't translate well at all. The dictionary says "dexterous" but really it means something like graceful, smart, handy, cool...on and on. Ex: Mark Cox is way šikovný.

There are also some English words that don't go smooth into Czech, like awkward. The closest is "uncomfortable," but it's just not the same. And all my multi-cultural friends, feel free to add your own!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya Sweet Leah! I read your blog, but I've never commented before. I just had to add my 2 cents that I think the Czech language is sorely missing the words "upset" and "enjoy".

They say angry or sad, but that doesn't cut it because upset can be both or neither!

And enjoy....well you have to say "it was a good concert" because "I enjoyed the concert" just can't be translated literally. But what if the concert was no good at all, but you were goofing off with your friends doing silly dances and stuff and so had a great time?

These are the 2 words I miss in Czech.

And in English I miss "ze". What a great little word! It's the all-purpose tag question, ze jo? :)
~Lauren

11:38 PM

 
Blogger Leah said...

Lauren--

WORD UP! I know, I often want to say that I enjoy someone, but that's awkward, so I just say "I like her and appreciate her personality." Mmmm... And the other day I wanted to say "random," but instead just said "strange." :) Maybe "trapni" would work...

Lauren, I'm so glad you wrote, I've been thinking lately how much I enjoy you, and how much I miss you! Mwah! (kiss)

10:54 AM

 
Blogger Krista said...

haha leah, i love your language ponderings :) you make me smile... the other day i was talking to jacob (of the hash clan) and he said, 'you can't pee(pij) coffee' pic in polish means to drink, pij is the command form of that verb... but in English it sounded dang funny... we laughed, cause not many people would understand why that was so funny!

i like the polish word 'spokojny' it means calm/peaceful... but more... english can't quite get it (aka. explain it)

11:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home