Leah Cox's blog of youth ministry in the Czech Republic with Josiah Venture (plus stuff)

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

10 things you probably didn't know about me...tagged by Dana


1. I can't tell my left from my right. Even when I make the "L" with my thumb and forefinger I get confused (which way does the "L" go?) Its too hard when there are only 2 options!
2. I am a maniac reader. If I could, I would read all day, every day. I read so much when I was younger our babysitter Sue once hid my book to force me to go outside and play. And I've read Lord of the Rings 7 times.
3. Johanna and I used to smoke Swisher Sweets on the balcony of our apartment in Rock Island. I quit because Dad asked me to.
4. When I was in jr. high my friends and I made a master list of which people were in what cliques and then ranked the groups by popularity. We were 6th. Our scheme to become more popular was to systematically date boys in higher groups and climb to the top. It didn't work. But a few years later...
5. I was prom queen. Make that Prom Queen. Actually, quite a few people know that because I pull the PQ card every so often. But what you don't know about that is how it happened. During my lunch hour senior year I didn't have anyone to sit with, so instead I skipped lunch and spent time with the disabled kids. They'd just been mainsteamed into our school and it was pretty rough for them. So, when prom rolled around and the ballots came out, the teachers and aides "helped" these students fill out the forms by marking my name on all of them.
6. Once when I was about 8 I tried to change my identity. I tied a shoelace in my hair and called myself "Sneaker."
7. My senior year at Augustana, one of my roommates had a big Sunday school style picture of Jesus hanging up in the living room. My friend and I colored his blue eyes brown with a marker over the glass to be more ethnically accurate. Conflict ensued.
8. Before Czech, I worked for about 2 years at a domestic violence shelter in Rock Island. It was great, and also so hard and growing.
9. Oh, and before that, I was a carpenter, I restored stained glass, and did a little lumberjacking on the side. Really. :) I worked for Auggie's art gallery's director's husband, I started out doing the stained glass--which is so fun--and then when he had more carpentry projects I'd go down to the shop and help, and then he started this whole mill thing so I'd go and stack the drying kiln or help haul trunks.
10. I started walking at 9 months.
***correction, 10.5. I confused myself with my sister Dana. Sometimes I confuse myself with Rebekah, and forget who graduated from HS in 1997 (oh, not me:)***

Okay, I'm tagging Nathan Pitcher, Krista and Natey! And I'm facebook tagging Bex and Lucka.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I loved this article, and can't believe some of these things. Prom Queen and carpenter! You have had an amazing life, and I'm sure the best is yet to come!
You're a great writer.
Ken

10:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were Prom Queen because you were not only beautiful and talented, you were the nicest girl in the school. A lot more people voted for you than just the disabled kids...

8:39 PM

 
Blogger Leah said...

Thanks Ken! And thank you old friend!!! :)

5:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Leah, It's always so much fun and so encouraging to read you...well, I mean, what you write and the way that you express yourself. I love it!! This post cracked me up. I never would have thought you'd call yourself sneaker...
Hannah

10:27 AM

 
Blogger Leah said...

Well, Han, in the early 80s "sneakers" was the modern word for "tennis shoes," so it was a really really cool name...really cool.

I miss you Hannie bananie!!! :* (big kiss!)

3:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home