Leah Cox's blog of youth ministry in the Czech Republic with Josiah Venture (plus stuff)

Sunday, April 06, 2008

good question, David

I took a walk with David (the youth group leader in Cesky Tesin) and his wife Lucka at CBV, and David asks if I have a boyfriend, which, I don't, so I said no. He then asks if I'm ever angry at God because of that. His honesty made me laugh, but he nailed it. Thankfully, I'm not angry--anymore. But I was, sometime between 25-27 I was so angry I didn't even know what to do. I couldn't believe how unfair God was to not give me what I wanted--not only wanted, but longed for, body soul & spirit. When my (younger) sister Dana told me she was pregnant with her second child, I cried. I labored long and and hard under the misconception that there's something seriously wrong with me. Figuring out who to blame for my unfulfill-ed-ness took a lot of energy, so I usually flip flopped between blaming either my hairy arms, or being a missionary, or God filing me under "second string." Self pity is a swamp. I'm not even exactly sure how I got out of that place. I remember sitting at Borders and reading Elisabeth Elliot's Loneliness and having an aha moment, something like "It's not all about me! ! AHA!!!!!!!" And then that fateful year at Moody, when the reality God's sovereignty finally made it to my heart. Somehow, too, I started believing that God is good. That's really important. Because if he's good, he really cares about what's best for me and will give me what's best for me--and if he's sovereign, he has the right to decide that and the authority to make it happen.

I'm not angry now. And I'm not jealous of friends who make great matches and have beautiful babies. And I no longer think that I'm defective or misplaced. And it really doesn't bother me when girls say "I just hope I won't be 30 and single!" And thinking about being single for another 5, 10 years doesn't make my stomach churn. And I mostly trust God. Mostly! The desires are still there, even stronger, and I have times of sadness. One of our student leaders told me he can tell when I'm feeling lonely, he says he can read it in my eyes. But there's peace and contentment too, so much.

Sidenote: However, Lucka Z. and I are in our third year of attempting to name it and claim it. If you want to know 2008's slogan/vision, you'll have to ask nice. :)

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Lauree "LO" Austin said...

Leah you share with such honesty, thank you! I can't wait to get to know you better! Speaking of slogans, I found yours in a magazine that I was saving to give to you, shoot, now I need to remember where I placed it! Hopefully I will have remembered where I placed it to give it to you at the Conference.
Lauree

12:25 AM

 
Blogger Leah said...

You found our slogan in a magazine? Someone leaked it to the press, curses.

Anyway, I'm so looking forward to conf...it'll be great to see you, Lauree!

12:15 PM

 
Blogger Emilie Schmitz said...

Leah,
I'm glad I'm married, but boy, somedays it sure is hard. And Kyle and I were discussing that sometimes, it would seem easier to not be married. I'm not trying to make you feel better about being single. I've been there. Kyle was the first boy I ever seriously dated and that wasn't until I was 23. I remember those "before years", when it seems like everyone around you seems happier because they're "with someone". Ah, the great allusion... Do you know how many days I long to be single and in a missionary community serving over in Czech - so bad it aches? I guess the grass is always greener...
Leah, you are beautiful, hilarious, have an INCREDIBLE personality and sense of humor, you are smart, artistic, creative, and warm. Girls like you ALWAYS find amazing men, of this I am convinced. Because you are already surrounded by amazing men. (Greg, Mark, Nate) However, it doesn't mean you will marry them, just that God allows them to be a part of your life. And that is a cool thing...I'm glad that you have peace about this. I will be praying for you, dear friend.

5:34 PM

 
Blogger Leah said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Emilie! Yeah, they say that loneliness married is far worse than loneliness single...that's gotta be hard....

6:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home