Leah Cox's blog of youth ministry in the Czech Republic with Josiah Venture (plus stuff)

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Why Europe Rocks: Reason #38

breakin' the law, Euro style: Michelle and me

Rumor has it that when the Obamas were in Prague this past weekend, Michelle caused a stir by not wearing nylons. Ha! Oh, Michelle, I know, I know. I personally hate nylons and cannot tell you how many times I've been called out for having bare legs during the spring or fall. When Monika got married, I went sans nylons and a Cesky Tesin granny touched my calves and said, "Dzuszko, kai mosz silonky?" ("Little daughter, where are your nylons?")

Michelle also got busted for hugging the queen of England. While I've never hugged royalty, I have MANY times hugged the wrong people and created awkward scenes. Like the time I hugged my new pastor, or a student's mom, or a teacher I worked with, an English student, uh...I dunno, I like people, I get caught up in the moment, I hug, I'm American and I'm Leah so, yeah, hugging. I would probably also hug the queen if we were talking about shoes and being girly like that.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Jozef said...

Leah, you will hate me for this comment since it is beaverish and not-encouraging and just one of those logical ones you never appreciate...
BUT
What's up with the article that it is presented as part of "Why Europe Rocks" series? - I usually like the WER articles, I appreciate good observation on cultural differences but this doesn't seem to fit the category.

Have you considered "Why Europe Sucks" series? ;)

1:01 AM

 
Blogger Leah said...

Sorry if this one seems negative, Jozef. I actually don't think hugging or nylons are better/worse. I prefer to hug and I prefer not to wear nylons, but I'm not saying Europe sucks because of it. Mostly I think it's interesting that Michelle Obama caused a stir by the same things I have caused a stir by, and that's the point.

I've wanted a few times to do a WER about health "rules" in both countries, but figured some people could get offended by that one.

4:05 PM

 
Blogger Leah said...

I also want to write about last week in Malenovice when we were translating jokes into CZ, but I'm not sure if the pirate joke is okay for this G rated blog--it MIGHT be PG--I was dying laughing though--gosh, that is why Europe rocks, well, that's not actually about Europe, it's more about language. :)

10:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home