Leah Cox's blog of youth ministry in the Czech Republic with Josiah Venture (plus stuff)

Thursday, January 01, 2009

what the New Year may bring

Lucka, Jitka and I in Croatia looking to the future

Okay, you probably don't know this, but Lucka and I have a little tradition for the past few years. It started around the turn of 2006, when (probably) we were sitting in our living room in good ol' Svibice lamenting over our unadorned left fingers. From this was born our vision for that year: "Two guys for us chicks in 2006." To make it official, we wrote it on a piece of paper and put it on the fridge.

However, 2006 went down into the dusty tomes of history with empty lines in the "love and dating" section (although, I think there were some entries in the "crushes that ended in heartbreak" section, but that's sealed :) With the advent of 2007 came the need for a renewed goal, because you know what the Bible says people perishing for lack of vision, though that may be taken a bit out of context. The next motto was: "We don't wanna wait till 2011, bring it on Lord in 2007." Alas, again the annals remained empty.

2008 was perhaps our best one yet, and this time it was a community effort even involving Bob and Super Jen, and Daniela and Jitka also adopted this motto as they saw fit: "He'll initiate in 2008--it'll be great." Although Luc and I did experience some initiating, it wasn't really, you know, and again nothing. But the motto became our byword for being patient, and I have nothing big to add in the heartbreak section.

This year's slogan was possibly the most difficult, not only because it stinks rhyming with "nine," but also because of some early discrepancies between Lucka's and my ideas. I was a stickler about wanting more than assonance and didn't want to use the word "time." "Give me a sign in 2009" was rejected because Luc wanted more than a sign and I have a high distrust of signs. "A ring will be mine in 2009" looked like it would win, except that neither one of us really thought that actual engagement was feasible this year. After the conference call that garnered much commentary on facebook, we quickly agreed on the following vision for this year...

"We'll be fine in 2009."

To all of my single sistahs out there, feel free to adopt this as your own, and may contentment and peace rule our hearts.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)
I miss you, Leah.

12:41 AM

 
Blogger Leah said...

i miss you too! :(

10:50 AM

 
Blogger Heidi said...

Yeah, "Finding a Mate in 2008" didn't pan out for me either... So I am good with being fine in 2009!

4:54 AM

 
Blogger Leah said...

Heidi, gosh, I stinkin love you! My friend Christina and I made special prayer lists on Malenovice napkins, and you are on mine :)

10:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leah, you're amazing, amazing!!!!!!
:-))))))))))))
I love you!

10:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home